Literacy Resource Pack
Sounds and Symbols’ activities and programmes promote early literacy learning and help to build a sound foundation for all early years children (0-8 years of age).
• Cognitive skills – comprehension, sequencing, memory, prediction and RAN
• Language skills – listening and speaking
• Motor skills – gross and fine motor skills
• Social skills – turn taking, communication, self-regulation
• Learning about books and text.
These skills and knowledge all contribute to the building of a secure foundation for early literacy learning.
The activities may be delivered together in programmes or integrated into other early years curricula. Ideally, the activities or programmes should be delivered regularly to enable children to learn and revise their developing skills.
The Sounds and Symbols Resource Pack includes:
• Training Manual One – Information
• Training Manual Two – Starter Programme
• Training Manual Three – Additional Activities
• Sounds and Symbols Resource and Alphabet Boo
• My Cat Ben Songbook
• Literacy, Phonological Awareness and Dyslexia
• Literacy through Music: Theory and Research
• The Importance of Music for Early Years
• A pattern to make your own ‘Humpty’ puppet
• Props: Sleeping Beauty flash cards
• Weather Song flash cards
• Turtle flash card
• Owl for ‘Ollie the Owl’ musical story
• Humpty clock
• The Green Grass Grew All Around – build-up card
• Music to accompany the activities
• Carry case